Monday, September 14, 2009

On the subject of OneNote

I received a free copy of OneNote my freshman year of undergrad and gave it a try. I was far from impressed; it felt clunky and was full of clunky text boxes that seemed to fill the screen rather than having a seamless word processor-like interface. I developed a burning hatred for those clunky text boxes. I seem to remember uninstalling it after less than a day and proceeded to avoid it like the plague.

So it may surprise you that I now use OneNote exclusively for my notes. It's still clunky if you wish to type and leaves those clunky text boxes--but the moment you flip your screen around and pull out the stylus the program becomes decidedly un-clunky and is almost magical. You can 'print' anything to it and insert picture clips from anywhere--very useful features for a veterinary student. Plus, carrying around a 4-5 pound computer is a lot more convenient than carrying around 9 different binders (or even just one giant one).

Its handwriting recognition certainly needs work, though, and it has a number of small, annoying features. Like autonomously labeling pages if you don't give them a title... for instance, a drawing of a shoulder joint doesn't spell anything, much less "SQ Booger," nor does "hinge joints only" spell "siamang." I will admit that the first made me giggle.

No comments:

Post a Comment